Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Review: Rainbow–“Sweet Dream”



Rainbow turns out to have way more than seven members in this eerie music video.


Did you like the song?
No matter what language it’s in, I love the song “A,” with its relentless, pounding energy. Their “To Me” I liked less, as I didn’t find the chorus that catchy. “Sweet Dream” is the follow-up track for “To Me,” and as anticipated, it’s too slow for my tastes. I like it about as much as “To Me.”

I was pretty disappointed because “Sweet Dream” sounded like it was going to be a cool club beat at the beginning, but then it reverted to a melodic piano line with an electronic beat. Although the harmonies with all the girls’ voices sound nice together, it’s just not catchy or edgy enough for me. Also, I think DSP Media should be careful to keep Rainbow’s and KARA’s vocals distinct from one another. They’re starting to sound a bit too similar to me.

Rainbow Sweet Dream members names white black

Jisook, maknae Hyunyoung, Yoonhye, leader Jaekyung, Seungah, Woori, and Noeul.

What was your favorite part of the song?
The chorus was my favorite part, but I also enjoyed Woori’s rap, as I usually do. (I love the way she says “Rainbow.”)

Does the English make you want to rip your eardrums out?
Rainbow has come a long way from the days of “Gossip Girl” and its absolutely hysterical English. (Still, I actually thought that song was much catchier and liked it more.) In “Sweet Dream” it seems like every other line ends in an English word that’s pronounced nicely (“star,” “sunshine,” etc.). I like the fluttery-sounding “Baby, I can’t let you go” at the beginning of the chorus, too.

Rainbow Sweet Dream members names colorful

Jisook, Hyunyoung, Yoonhye, Jaekyung, Seungah, Woori, and Noeul.

Did you like the video?
I know a lot has been made of the fact that this video has all these awesome special effects—created with about a million dollars’ worth of equipment—but I found it more uncannily creepy than cool, and it had nothing to do with the lyrics whatsoever.

Rainbow Sweet Dreams Woori dopplegangers

Kinda scary…

I can’t imagine how many takes Rainbow had to do for this music video. So much visual trickery. It’s completely full of dopplegangers: a Rainbow member can be a bartender serving herself, seated at the bar, or she can walk both upstairs and downstairs simultaneously, or walk into a room and then walk in again, or be on the bar TVs while standing back-to-back with herself while also facing…er, herself.

Rainbow Sweet Dreams Woori

Woori in three places at once.

And this isn’t like Super Junior’s “A-CHA,” where it’s just split-screened, but nor is it completely like Kan Mi Youn’s “Won’t Meet You,” where Mi Youn plays different characters who have distinct personalities. It’s less artistic and more just technical wizardry for no apparent reason.

Was there a storyline? If so, did it make sense?
All I can come up with is that this is a really creepy bar or brothel full of clones. The “fantasyland” element is more like a dystopian sci-fi universe to me.

It seems like Rainbow is having a party celebrating an album release in this club. They have signed posters out everywhere (and who staples signed posters to a club pillar, anyway? Those are special! You treat them carefully!).

Rainbow Sweet Dreams Woori

The poster’s position makes it seem like there are only six members, when actually there are seven.

But they don’t seem to be celebrating together, performing at the venue, or even having much fun. They’re usually completely separate from the dancing crowds. For the most part, the girls are walking around alone or sitting at the bar drinking alone or bartending alone. :(

Was the dance cool and distinctive?
It’s a shame there is no dance in this video really, because the “dragonfly dance” where the members dance with their eyes closed is very wistful and goes nicely with the music and sad lyrics.


Do the members look good?
Rainbow always looks nice. They have so many gorgeous members—and is it just me, or do they look better in selcas and things than in official pictures? I guess too much makeup and excessive Photoshopping doesn’t completely suit them.

Rainbow Mach members names

From their “Mach” promotions: Woori, Seungah, Jaekyung, Noeul, Yoonhye, Jisook, and Hyunyoung.

Which member stood out the most?
For once, Jaekyung didn’t stand out the most for me—even though, to be fair, she was one of the only ones who really seemed like she was having a good time playing with that Mardi Gras mask. But still, I’ve gotta give this to Hyunyoung and her crazy earrings (shinies!). This is the screen every time she’s on:

Rainbow Sweet Dream Hyunyoung earring

Yay, glare!

Hey, it was either that or Jisook’s blond hair. Check out this post if you want to know a bit more about the members.

Do you like it enough to buy the song?
No, it’s too slow for me.

Any ending thoughts?
“To Me” had the “black swan dance,” this one had the “dragonfly dance”…I wonder what flying creature Rainbow will mimic next. Also of note is Woori’s “hair-ography,” lol.

Boyfriend’s one-liner:
“Rarely do you find bartenders who look that good. Must be a bad economy.”

Happy Hanukkah starting tonight at sunset, for those of you who are celebrating!

0 kisses:

What did you think?