Friday, September 30, 2011

Review: Kan Mi Youn–“Won’t Meet You”



Kan Mi Youn is both patient and psychiatrist in her new music video.


Did you like the song?
I’ve never heard of Kan Mi Youn before, but clearly I’ve got to check out her some of her other songs. Anyway, “Won’t Meet You” is catchy as hell, wow. I really enjoyed it. In addition, the lyrics fit nicely with the concept: “I won’t meet you, I will never meet you, for real / I don’t know, I can’t help it, I meet you again.” Yup, I’d be convinced someone saying that should probably seek psychiatric help. But it also describes the pain and confusion of being in unhealthy relationships.

Kan Mi Youn asylum

Though she doesn’t exactly look like a danger to society…

What was your favorite part of the song?
That main riff is great, and the chorus is both creepy/pretty and catchy (“anmanna, anmanna, anmanna” gets stuck in my head). I could have done with a little less of the dubsetp part, to be honest, but that was my only complaint.

Does the English make you want to rip your eardrums out?
Okay, the main riff I originally heard as a kind of repetition of gibberish, like “b-ringa, b-ringa” or something. It’s not: it’s “Mind is: in and out, in and out.” However, while that line is confusing and it’s more correct to say something like, “I keep changing my mind,” I've heard much worse. I could see some native English speaker using “My mind goes back and forth” in those high electronic tones as a part of the chorus in their song.

Kan Mi Youn blonde hair

Kan Mi Youn goes blonde.

Did you like the video?
Yeah! Although it’s a bit weird, it’s also pretty cool. My favorite part is that Mi Youn plays both the crazy person and the psychiatrist treating her. This is the first time I’ve seen a Kpop artist use blacklights in their work! The closest thing I can think of is Jang Woo Hyuk playing with lights in his “Time is Over.” I’m just sad there were no hot guys in this vid for Mi Youn to torment.

Kan Mi Youn blacklights

Time for lasertag!

Was there a storyline? If so, did it make sense?
In two of her previously released music videos, “Going Crazy” and “Paparazzi,” Kan Mi Youn proves that she can do crazy really well. (I mean really well.) It’s something in her eyes, where she looks so sweet and innocent while doing horrific things like stalking or kidnapping people and locking them in closets. (Difficult to explain, but watch those videos and you’ll understand.) Here, she pulls out the psychopath card again and does it well: she’s in a mental ward but the lyrics are asking her boyfriend to “pinky swear” that he won’t meet other girls.

Kan Mi Youn pinky swear

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

I feel like this song is the culmination of the plot in the other two songs (“Paparazzi” is even played at the beginning and end of this MV like a ringtone). She finally gets caught and restrained and…treated by herself. No wonder she lets herself have neon paint and black lights and a full music stage to dance on in the mental hospital. If I were my own psychiatrist, I would let myself run wild, too. Also, I’m not sure how effective her treatment will be when it seems to consist mainly of playing kai bai bo (Korean rock paper scissors)...

Kan Mi Youn psychiatrist and patient

The lunatics are running the madhouse.

Was the dance cool and distinctive?
Definitely both! It’s been a while since I’ve seen a dance I thought was really distinctive, and this one is it! It’s made up of several fun moves that mimic feeling restrained and alone: the handcuffs (like in SHINee’s “Lucifer” dance), the move where she rubs her arms (comforting herself/straitjacket?), the rolling up the car window move (similar to JYJ’s “Ayyy Girl” dance—see Eat Your Kimchi for more details), the…what is it, brushing him off or scattering makeup or pixie dust move? It’s cool, anyway.

Do the members look good?
Definitely. Kan Mi Youn plays both the psychiatrist and the patient here. So funny. In some of the dance scenes it looks like she’s wearing butt padding, which is kind of weird. She's so pretty; does she need that?

Kan Mi Youn Won’t Meet You

She borrowed some eye sparklies from G.NA.

Which member stood out the most?
I’ll take this as a category to decide which hairstyle I liked best. The bleached blonde was interesting, the black lights made everything look clown-ish, her psychiatrist seemed like she belonged in a K-drama, her main two styles were pretty…but, yeah, I’m going to have to give it to the patient. She is so cute…and yet so crazy.

Kan Mi Youn Won’t Meet You gif

Mind is in and out, in and out…

Do you like it enough to buy the song?
Oh yes. I feel like this song was written for me. :)

Any ending thoughts?
Clearly Kan Mi Youn’s next music video will have her breaking out of the psychiatric institute and running to kidnap her next guy.

Kan Mi Youn Won’t Meet You

Hee hee hee, I can’t wait! *evil smile*

Boyfriend’s one-liner:
“Institutionalized Korean gingers are surprisingly sexy.”

Thanks for reading! Please subscribe and leave your comments below. Also feel free to request a review. By the way, I made an album for keeping track of group members’ names as I learn them, so check it out if you want to learn with me! We update Monday-Friday. :)

0 kisses:

What did you think?