Friday, September 16, 2011

Review: Sistar–“So Cool”



Sistar show everyone how cool they look in sparkly dresses.


Did you like the song?
This song grew on me really quickly. One reason is that it is such fun to dance to! Another is the chorus is (yeah, I have to go there) just so freakin’ cool. It sounds like Pitbull or some other native English and Spanish speaker is on the track, too. Seriously, when was the last time you heard “uno, dos, tres, cuatro” on a Kpop song? And the message is good, too: “Instead of a miserable pair, I’d rather be a glamorous single.” Way to rock the girl power, Sistar. The only thing in the song I’m not a fan of is the random chipmunk “let’s get it” at the beginning.

What was your favorite part of the song?
I really love that little finishing tag onto the end of the chorus: “nan gwenchana” (“I’m all right”) and how it bleeds into the next line.

Sistar members So Cool

Dasom, Bora, Soyu, and Hyorin

Does the English make you want to rip your eardrums out?
“I feel so cool, like Ice T.” Or is it “iced tea?” I guess both of those things could be cool. I mean, at least Ice T is better than Vanilla Ice (ice, baby), but…

Sistar Ice T

So cool, cool?

Most of the English is quite good (for example, the chorus is great!), but to be nitpicky, two lines are pronounced slightly awkwardly (“it’s party time,” and “let you know one thing straight” I first heard as “let you know one thing’s real.”) Nothing too major.

Did you like the video?
You know, despite its problems, which I will talk about later, and the fact that the video really made no sense at all, I enjoyed it a lot. I think it’s because Sistar look like they’re having fun and their dresses are so sparkly and colourful.

Was there a storyline? If so, did it make sense?
This video was filled with creepy perverts. The girls walk down the runway and dance for these three sleazy guys who are in the video for no apparent reason. One of them even has a gun. Are they supposed to be gangsters? Why do these dudes get a private runway show?

Sistar gangstas

Please do not call these guys, Sistar.

Cut to Sistar putting on makeup and getting ready to perform. Random Westerners keep visiting them in their dressing room and handing out pastries, which was weird, if not downright suspicious. What’s up with these people? Do not eat their pastries, Sistar!! They probably have roofies in them. (That said, I thought it was cute when they split the pastry, even if we don’t see them actually eating it.)

Sistar So Cool pastry

Delicious but potentially dangerous!

Then for no obvious reason Sistar put on tennis shoes and cute fluffy dresses to go run relay races and jump hurdles, and Bora does a high jump in slow motion (which I thought looked really awkward, especially because Bora is trying to smile while attempting to maintain decency).

Sistar Bora high jump

Did this have to be in slow motion?

Bora gets a medal even though there were no apparent competitors. Maybe it is a medal for hotness.

Was the dance cool and distinctive?
Okay, okay. Everybody knows that the dance moves draw far too much attention to Sistar’s rear ends. It’s been called the butt fanning dance, the “oops, I just farted" dance, the most awkward dance ever, etc. The whole video, the camera keeps doing closeups on their butts. What kind of person filmed and edited this?

Do yourself a favor and watch Sistar’s dance practice of this song. They fix many of the awkward dance problems and change the butt fanning dance to playing with their hair or something. This dance is beyond so cool; it’s awesome. The “yeah, I feel so cool, cool” body wave part is especially sexy.

Do the members look good?
I'll let you be the judge. Here is Exhibit A. (There are no other exhibits.)

Sistar So Cool

Soyu, Bora, Hyorin, Dasom

So, I think Dasom’s fans are going to kill me, but in my opinion everyone looks good but her. Man, I am not digging that one-armed blue dress. She doesn’t really look happy in any shot that I can see, either; she seems really uptight and sad. Maybe her haircut is too severe? Something wasn’t right. Soyu, Bora, and Hyorin look gorgeous, though.

Which member stood out the most?
For me, both Hyorin and Bora put Soyu and Dasom to shame in terms of standing out the most. I found Bora the hottest, but really, I don’t think anyone can compete with Hyorin’s radiant smile. She’s always smiling, and it looks so genuine.

Sistar Hyorin

Why so happy?

Do you like it enough to buy the song?
Heck yes! It’s awesome.

Any ending thoughts?
Of all of Sistar’s songs (with vids), this is by far my favorite.

Boyfriend’s one-liner:
“I like the look of the dresses, and it was refreshing that they weren’t wearing high heels while doing the jumps and running. But what’s up with the farting dance??”

Thanks for reading! Please subscribe and leave your comments below. Also feel free to request a review.

0 kisses:

What did you think?