Friday, October 21, 2011

Review: Secret–“Love is Move”



Secret’s new music video will definitely get you up and moving!


Did you like the song?
I love this song and wish there were more like it. It’s so fast-paced! It has the attitude of a 1960s beach party, complete with the arm motion, by which I mean this:

Secret Love is Move Hyosung dance

This is totally me listening to this music video. Why so sexy, Hyosung???

At the end of this song, after that last “Come on,” I was kind of breathless! It was like a roller coaster. It reminded me pleasantly of their “Madonna,” except I actually like this better. Yay! And the guitar riffs recalled Rainbow’s “A,” another song I adore—and which I (formerly, I guess) thought had a pretty rapid beat, too!

Something about this song made me think of that Tom Hanks movie That Thing You Do, which parodied 1960s music. I specifically thought of two of the songs in that movie: the “come on” part reminds me of “Dance With Me Tonight,” and the main beat reminds me of the song “That Thing You Do.”

Secret Love is MOVE members

Jieun, Zinger, Hyosung, and Sunhwa.

Whatever else you think about Secret, there’s no question all their songs are fun to sing along to; they’ve so far managed to avoid that irritating auto-tune or other effects that would spoil the music.

What was your favorite part of the song?
“Come on! (Come on)” and that little fast line after it.

Secret Love is Move members

Clockwise: Sunhwa, Zinger, Jieun, and Hyosung.

Does the English make you want to rip your eardrums out?
So from what I can tell, the meaning of the title “Love is Move” suggests that in order to love someone, you have to keep up with them as they change. Other than that, I think pretty much every English phrase is repeated twice or three times (thrice!) in a row (i.e. “Come on, come on,” “move move,” “love love love,” “no no no,” “oops, oops.”) Then there’s Zinger’s rap, where we get another triple: “Yeah, c’mon everybody…Shake it shake it shake it, my boy!” All pronounced fine except for the oddly phrased title.

Secret Love is Move

Secret's teaser photos: Sunhwa, Jieun, Zinger, and Hyosung.

Did you like the video?
Loved it. It did a good job of showing off its members and sticking to similar sets that had personality and for the most part weren’t just blank white space.

Also, apparently the concept was inspired by Betty Boop, a cartoon character from the 1930s (and on). I’m not really sure how this:

Betty Boop Secret Kpop concept

inspired this concept (she’s both cute and sexy?), but I’ll go with it.

Secret Love is Move members

Sunhwa, Jieun, Hyosung, and Zinger.

Was there a storyline? If so, did it make sense?
Nope, just the girls dancing on various stages. All of them have those merry-go-round lightbulbs…

Secret Love is Move

Except Jieun’s stage.

Secret Love Is Move dance

Which she shares with the Blues Brothers (minus sunglasses).

Was the dance cool and distinctive?
This dance looks exhausting. WHOOSH WITH THE HAIR-FLIPS! I hope Secret doesn’t get a headache from all that head banging. Plus there is the awesome back lean dance move:

Secret Love Is Move dance

Lean wit’ it, rock wit’ it.

Do the members look good?
Yes, they look nice. Secret really knows how to rock their curves and is one of the most genuinely sexy—not just pretty—girl groups.

Secret Love is Move members

Zinger, Sunhwa, Hyosung, and Jieun.

Which member stood out the most?
For me, Sunhwa and Hyosung really stole the show, particularly Hyosung and her off-purple hair (as you can probably tell from the gifs). But now I’m wondering if they’re just standing out because I think they’re the most attractive, as they both also stood out the most for me in Secret’s “Starlight, Moonlight.” Or maybe they’re getting more screentime? But I think it’s more than that. Anyway, sorry, Jieun and Zinger fans.

Secret Starlight Moonlight members

Jieun, Sunhwa, Hyosung, and Zinger from “Starlight, Moonlight.”

Do you like it enough to buy the song?
Oh yeah, no question. I loved it the first time I heard it.

Any ending thoughts?
I’m really beginning to like Secret, and I hope they keep up with fast, fun songs like this. Also, this is kind of random, but for other Hyosung fans, I found a very amusing collection on Tumblr called “the Hyosung lean,” a sexy pose she seems to favor, lol.

Boyfriend’s one-liner:
“Favorite dance move: three-way tie between the monkey (briefly featured), the ‘expose my breasts,’ and the dancing Blues Brothers.”

Thanks for reading! Please share your comments below! :)

1 comment: